Monday, August 1, 2011

UNION STATION

This one time… I woke up covered in blankets reeking of sweat and black truffle oil. Darkness covering my open eyes, I immediately jumped up in a panic, breathing hard… and still smothered by the mothball-infested blankets. This must be a dream … or a nightmare, I thought. Why can’t I fight these blankets off me? I closed my eyes again and calmed down only to visualize my safe bedroom… I’ll go back to reality soon. I heard the sound of footprints, many footprints. Then a cell phone rang next to me, phew, my alarm clock! I can get up now and start my day… suddenly a train whistle gusted loudly. What? Panic mode again, I struggled to get the dust bowl blankets off me… for I couldn’t breathe! They were so heavy I needed help! I tried and tried to scream for help… but nothing except silent air came out of my tonsils. The footsteps paused, less one set I heard walking towards me, slowly creeping near, and then stopped. The blankets rustled, and I felt a slight chilled breeze coming through. Alas, the thickness unraveled my face. I was frozen with fear, but there was no one around, just me. I knew this was a dream and I’d wake up eventually. Just relax, or try to move… yes, that’ll help me wake up. Time passed… I finally gained the strength to move. I sat up, lost in a world filled with portal like arches above me… marble-like glass triangular circles all in one. Just wow? This is not my beautiful house. How did I get here? Where does this highway go? I stared into space, as I knew it was only a dream! The train whistled again. Hark! It was loud… I heard footprints rustling but could now not see a goddamn thing. I wanted out of this dream so I sucker punched myself… nothing. I’m done with this! I hopped up; I was now standing, barefoot on a rustic plank of dirty felt gritty floor. Straight ahead, there lie a large sign… but it was blurry. Everything was blurry! I’ll get to the bottom of this… I was now running to this sign, but never got closer… though the image became clearer. I’ll get there! My vision diminished more, everything around me was black… but I finally saw the sign, it read “Union Station.” Really? I had never been to Union Station, but have heard of its existence. The sign lit up! It flickered with the oddest sound of electromagnet waves of post war destruction. Perhaps I’m in Purgatory I thought, with the exception being… I’m not a Catholic. This was the stupidest dream I’ve ever had, and I needed out, stat! So I closed my eyes again and envisioned a beautiful beach on a tropical island oasis. I lie in the sun, and felt it caressing my face. A beautiful silhouette of a man figure appeared in front of me, behind him a crystal clear blue sky with pure white marshmallow clouds. He smiled the most evanescence smile I had ever seen… full of safety and warmth… and trust. It was just him and me. I was able to speak! "Meet me at the Union station," I said… and then, my alarm went off… and I woke up. 

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment